Jul 04 2010
Painting the ceiling, it looks so easy. Splash on some paint and your good to go, right? Not so fast. If you’ve tried this method, you’ve probably that is not as easy as it seems. You’ve probably also noticed that it is not as pure and decent, as can be. You might even have ruined any carpet or furniture in the process.
Here are some guidelines to follow next time you are tempted to freshen a room with new color ceiling. These tips will help you quickly clean and you may find that you have fun at the same time.
1. Prepare the room. Sounds simple, but many people do not take time to do this and end up with a spill or accident to be cleaned. The ideal approach is to remove all the furniture in the room and put a canvas drop cloth or plastic high drop cloth on the floor. Low-quality or thin plastic drop cloths can be ripped or torn in the process of walking and moving through them. This makes carpets or hard flooring open to an accident. Tack cloth fell at the bottom of the base boards or floor so it stays in effect until you move it.
Remove all ceiling fixtures and any wall art or mirrors that can get hit with paint.
2. Surface preparation. You will need to analyze the surface. Ceilings are not painted as often as walls and probably not cleaned as often either. I want a clean surface in place of paint over another you could end up with peeling. Take your brooms and tear down all cobwebs or surface grime. Wipe down the surface lightly with a soft cloth.
Now, what the ceiling looks like? I have water stains? Did a smoker use the room? Is there a patch that needs to happen? If so, patching must take place before painting occurs. Allow time for the repair compound to dry. Make sure you are not creating a rough surface when the patch. SanDisk what you can to maintain a uniform ceiling or apply the same texture the rest of the ceiling there. In this case it was not possible to find the existing structure, you may want to retexture whole ceiling so it is uniform.
If the ceiling has stains you will want to brush a primer / stain blocker first. This helps the paint adhere well and obviously covers those stains. Applying a primer, although not to block stains is recommended. It will make rolling the paint very easily. This is particularly important if you use glossy paint as it gives the surface a smooth surface gloss to reverse. Roughly finished surfaces become more noticeable when glossy paint is brushed over them.
3. Cut first. This is the first step to any painting job. Cutting in refers to painting the areas that can not be reached by the roller. When the ceiling meet the wall can sometimes be uneven, while tape (use painters tape) will make some of us more comfortable, do not worry when pull off that tape and find an uneven painted edge. Choosing the same sight line across the room and sticking to that plan will reduce the visual impact of serious meeting of the ceiling and the wall.
Use the ladder in pursuit of this task. Residues from paint in much smaller, easily handled container. Paint stores usually include these as part of the list of supplies, some can give them and others may charge a minimal price for them.Use three-inch brush to apply a reduction in.
4. Roll paint. This is the fun part, because the color spread on the surface, and this usually happens very quickly. Now you will see why a reduction of brush before rolling. Your roller should roll right on the edge of the reduction and overlap slightly. If you get the roller any closer to the corners of the room, you could paint the wall where you do not want it.
That’s it. That’s all there is to it. Let your paint dry and not bother to take the mess while since we know that the paint is dry and will not have to paint another coat or touch up missed areas.
1. The ceilings are painted in white or generally off-white color because it creates the illusion of higher ceilings. Medium and dark colors bring the ceiling to create a cozy space. Using dark colors in eight foot ceiling can make a room feel claustrophobic, however, in twelve foot or higher dark room can help bring the room in the ratio.
2. Buy good quality paint. Cheaper paint means cheap paint and you will probably need to paint several layers to make it seem acceptable. Cup quality and will not do that second or third run to the store to buy more paint.
3. The preparation must be completed before painting begins.
4. Leave to dry paint mezhdu coats. If you do not follow this advice will deal with flaking and peeling paint, which is a mess to remove.
5. Do not wear good shoes or clothing when painting. Wear clothes you can get into the dirty and not caring. Wave is difficult to clean than paint wear cotton or blends that may be thrown into the washing machine. Cover your head with a bandana or hat, so you will not have to spend a week to hair dye.
6. Take your time and enjoy the process.